Fall protection. This is a hot topic for us here at RUD, as well as for OSHA, NIOSH, the Center for Construction Research and Training, engineers, and those in the construction industry. Why is fall protection such a hot topic? According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2010, more than 10,000 construction workers were injured do to fall-related accidents, and fatalities from falls are the number one cause of deaths in the construction industry. Workers should be guaranteed safety when they are on work sites, especially in terms of the equipment they are using. Here are some tips on how to keep your workers safe and ensure you are employing proper fall protection techniques:
1. Make sure you are using the correct fall anchorage points. (Check out RUD’s own PSA line of fall protection anchorage points!)
2. OSHA has set up standards for rigging safety—take a look at them and insure that your workspace and equipment comply with these standards. Check out OSHA’s fall protection campaign page for safety tips and fact sheets.
3. Have the right equipment for the right application! For example, an anchorage point for wind towers won’t necessarily provide the best protection if you’re working on a building–use anchorage points with the proper equipment to ensure the utmost amount of safety.
4. Inspections! Although annual inspection programs should always be in place, it is also important to inspect all equipment, including lifting, rigging, and connecting points, prior to use. If the equipment has been sitting in storage for some time, you want to determine that it is still working at its peak.
5. Education and training. By this, we mean all end users should be educated and trained on how to properly use the equipment (they will also know what to look for when performing visual inspections).
6. Create a proper storage space for these types of equipment—dry, moisture-free storage spaces are the best choice. Proper storage helps keep your safety equipment away from the elements.
We understand that safe rigging and fall protection standards are essential for those in the construction and wind tower industries. That’s why we offer products that are rated for compliance with the highest standards. We take safety seriously!